CodeIgniter Advantages and Disadvantages ?
Advantages of CodeIgniter:
- Easy and hassle-free migration from server hosting to server hosting.
- Easy to learn, adopt and deploy
- Easy handling and customizing.
- A new functionality has been applied without affecting the customization at all.
- Offers flexibility and easy management With MVC based framework.
- Active Record Implementation is simply superb and easy to remember.
- Provides easier configuration and customization of configuration files.
- Facilitates easy working with a variety of developers.
- Good collection of possessed libraries.
- Awesome documentation of the user guide, which makes it easy for any coder to use the whole framework.
- Enables to incorporate its own existing scripts as well as develop core librariesfor the system
- Lightweight and extensive.
Disadvantages of CodeIgniter:
- Its PHP based only and not very object-oriented in some parts
- PHP4 legacy code
- Company-driven instead of community-driven
- Irregular releases
- Framework itself has no built-in ORM (only via 3rd party solutions).
Benefits of CodeIgniter:
- A small track and astounding presentation
- Provision of broad compatibility along with standard hosting accounts
- Configuration and normal coding rules are not required
- Depiction of straightforward solutions
- Free from complex structures and development
Advantages of Codeigniter framework.
CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for PHP coders who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications. If you’re a developer who lives in the real world of shared hosting accounts and clients with deadlines, and if you’re tired of ponderously large and thoroughly undocumented frameworks, then CodeIgniter might be a good fit.
CodeIgniter is an Application Development Framework – a toolkit – for people who build web sites using PHP. Its goal is to enable you to develop projects much faster than you could if you were writing code from scratch, by providing a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries. CodeIgniter lets you creatively focus on your project by minimizing the amount of code needed for a given task.
It kind of resemble the Struts framework
Codeigniter Development is one of the best PHP framework in web Application Development. If you are looking forward to develop the application in a better way, then the only option is web development framework. As compared to the other frameworks, Codeigniter Development is fast, reliable, its time and speed is significant. You can modify (software) for use on a different machine or platform for existing codes by using PHP framework. PHP server side scripting language is very useful, In PHP software development, PHP programming or PHP application development or outsourcing PHP it is used.
Professional Codeigniter developers programmers is the best part of PHP framework for web application development. So Codeigniter Development is concluded, when you need a framework, exceptional performance. You can prefer CakePHP (web applications development) and Zend Framework (as a toolkit) for users who design websites using PHP. If you were writing the code, then it has a motive to enable to develop the projects which could be faster.
Other features of Codeigniter:
Codeigniter has inbuilt library classes for many complicated functionalities. Following are the features of codegniter.
- Model-View-Controller Based System
- Extremely Light Weight
- Full Featured database classes with support for several platforms.
- Active Record Database Support
- Form and Data Validation
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Session Management
- Email Sending Class. Supports Attachments, HTML/Text email, multiple protocols (sendmail, SMTP, and Mail) and more.
- Image Manipulation Library (cropping, resizing, rotating, etc.). Supports GD, ImageMagick, and NetPBM
- File Uploading Class
- FTP Class
- Data Encryption
- Full Page Caching
- Error Logging
- Application Profiling
- Calendaring Class
- User Agent Class
- Zip Encoding Class
- Template Engine Class
- Trackback Class
- XML-RPC Library
- Unit Testing Class
- Search-engine Friendly URLs
- Flexible URI Routing
- Support for Hooks and Class Extensions
- Large library of “helper” functions
- Remote code execution:
<? php if ( ! defined(‘BASEPATH’)) exit(‘No direct script access allowed’); This ensures that the PHP file is not accessible directly by manipulating or running a script, which would compromise the system.
- SQL injection: This type of attack is highly common on the web. A SQL injection occurs when an attacker exploits the front-end and the post data to retrieve secure data from the database. According to CodeIgniter manual, it becomes evident that your web application is automatically safe from SQL injection as the POST data is retrieved in the controller using $this->input->post (‘’); which is automatically filtered by CodeIgniter. CodeIgniter User Manual excerpt proves this fact: “Beyond simplicity, a major benefit to using the Active Record features is that it allows you to create database independent applications, since the query syntax is generated by each database adapter. It also allows for safer queries, since the values are escaped automatically by the system.”
- XSS Attacks: An XSS or Cross Site scripting attack is unarguably the common reason for the demise of web applications. A XSS attack works by a hacker crafting a malicious URL into the browser in order to compromise the security of the application. CodeIgniter has a built in XSS filter which is initialized automatically. In order to double check the security threats against XSS attacks, a Firefox add-on called XXS Me (download here) can be used to test the sample application against 96 different types of attacks. The results are shown in the image below. It shows that the all form input fields were not found unencoded, which means the XSS filter within CodeIgniter did its job.
- Other features: Apart from the ones mentioned above, there are a few minor security features that web application developers can apply. For example, make sure your web application does not allow any two different user groups to access each other’s accounts on the same session.This is possible by having the session data encoded with user id and user type so it can be used to determine if the account belongs to the user whose user data is in the active session.When it comes to storing passwords, the MD5 algorithm should be used to encrypt passwords. Also, if you are using file uploads, make sure the file names are encoded with a random 32-bit string so that private or sensitive information is anonymous.In addition, CodeIgniter’s form validation library can prove to be very useful. Form validation ensures that invalid information is not entered into the database. To provide a double layer of security, the SQL structure can be as such that it each field conforms to the incoming form data by a) type and b) length.
- Codeigniter is fast, reliable, lightweight and more capable.
- PHP framework is an easy debug that allows you easily to get out the errors in your development. Codeigniter Development can extend your PHP coding to get the specific functions through frameworks.
- In web Development, many features are almost the same so that you can describe the same code in different way.
- Codeigniter PHP Development is a most easy way to utilize a modular programs.
- Codeigniter PHP Development is compatible with most web servers, numerous operating systems and platforms.
- For many relational database management systems, PHP can be used.
- In worldwide, PHP developers are located and without any difficulty with Codeigniter PHP development you can find enormous amount of support through forums and blogs.
- Codeigniter has an outstanding performance as well as presentation.
- While configuring the PHP framework, Codeigniter is famous among developer because of effort investment.
- It helps web developers to find out the errors in programming codes and fix-up the issues instantly in the web applications.
- It provides you user-friendly interface that help developers to create a dynamic, flexible, secure and large web applications effectively in a short span of time.
- Web developers can make use of this powerful framework to customize the configuration files easily and it provides hassle-free migration from source to destination service hosting.
- The framework helps the programmer to create both front-end and rear-end of a web application effectively and easily in a secured manner.
- Programmers can create web applications with additional features and high-end functionalities by using in-built resource and libraries of the CodeIgniter.